From hikes to bicycle rides to canoe trips to public forums on climate change, Virginia Chapter Groups offer a wide variety of opportunities to protect and preserve our Virginia environment.
Our twelve Groups hold regular meetings, sponsor local area outings, including backpacking, hiking, caving, biking, and service opportunities at local parks, and participate in advocacy efforts protecting local natural resources.
Listings of Group meetings and outings appear in most Group newsletters. Most Groups also have websites which can be accessed following the embedded links below.
- Blue Ridge Group centers its work around Nelson County, sponsoring local environmental efforts, hikes in the Blue Ridge mountains and Appalachian Trail activities.
- Chesapeake Bay Group serves the cities of Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk and Virginia Beach, and the counties of Accomack and Northampton on Virginia’s Eastern Shore.
- Falls of the James Group is tied to the James River Park System and the communities and the issues that border that river and other critical rivers including the South Anna, the North Anna, the Pamunkey, the Mattaponi, the Appomatox, the Black Water Swamp and Nottoway, the Meherrin, and all the runs, brooks and creeks to the Chesapeake Bay and the Southern Rivers to the North Carolina border.
- Great Falls Group serves parts of Northern Virginia including the counties of Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, and Fauquier and the city of Fairfax.
- Mount Vernon Group serves the cities of Alexandria and Falls Church, Arlington County, and parts of Fairfax and Prince William counties.
- New River Group includes all Sierra Club members who live in the New River watershed in southwestern Virginia.
- Piedmont Group serves Charlottesville City and Albemarle, Greene, Fluvanna, Louisa, Culpeper, and Orange Counties in central Virginia.
- Rappahannock Group serves the Fredericksburg region, including the City of Fredericksburg and the counties of Stafford, Spotsylvania, King George, Caroline, Culpeper, Orange and Westmoreland.
- Roanoke Group serves Roanoke, Botetourt, Alleghany, Bath, Rockbridge, Franklin, Henry, and Patrick Counties, and the cities and towns within them.
- Shenandoah Group serves Harrisonburg, Staunton, Winchester, and the rest of the Shenandoah Valley.
- Thunder Ridge Group
- York River Group